Friday, February 13, 2009

It's a...


Boy!! I know this doesn’t come as a surprise to most of you who are reading. It’s been almost two months since we found out. We went to our doctor’s appointment on Monday, December 22, at 8:00 a.m. We had already been up for quite some time, checking our bags in early at the airport, since our flight left at 10:15! We were cutting it close. Fortunately, the sonographer was right on time and got us in promptly. As he was getting everything ready, he asked if we wanted to know the gender. I immediately said “Yes, but I think it’s a boy!” I’m not exaggerating, the moment he put the wand (I don’t know what the technical word is for it) on my belly, he said “You’re right, it’s a boy!” I was so excited and looked over at Nkere to see the big smile on his face. What he told me later was that he wanted to see the heart beat and make sure everything else looked good before he got too excited. The doctor said everything looked great! We saw his legs kicking and him sucking his thumb! It was the coolest thing ever! Everyone had asked us before what we wanted the baby to be. We both honestly said we don’t care, we just want it to be healthy. I think/know some people think that’s a cop-out answer for some reason. I mean, I know everyone wants a healthy baby; who wouldn’t? And I don’t think it’s bad at all to have a preference of boy or girl! We would have been thrilled with either! But if you know what my job is, and what I do for a living, you would understand why I said that. No one wants their child to be disabled in any way! I decided not to have the amniocentesis test done to check for Downs’ Syndrome. But I was asking my doctor some questions about it, and he came back with a great question. He said “Well, would you do anything different?” Of course I wouldn’t! I felt like there was no reason to get tests run when I’m going to love this baby no matter what.
So, in case you’re wondering, our colors are brown and turquoise!! We can’t wait to meet him!

2 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Ok now I am satisfied! 9 MONTHS later! But that's ok as long as you keep it up. Love you Gracie!

Amanda said...

Time for a new post!! Did you open your bag of baby goodies?